Dear Future Debater,
The Yale Summer Debate Program returns this August to offer talented high school students a rigorous, rewarding (and fun!) camp experience. Our program is built on the philosophy that debate is not just an activity but a set of skills students can use to critically engage with the world, no matter their interests, helping them to become better speakers, students, and most importantly, thinkers.
We train in the parliamentary debate style, the most popular in the world and the one used by top Connecticut tournaments like the Yale Invitational and Yale Oste
rweis tournaments. Our program is open to all students entering grades 9-12, of all levels—students with no prior experience to advanced debaters should all find the program tailored but challenging.
This summer, we’re proud to offer:
- World-class staff of Yale debaters and UDL coaches
- Typical instructor to student ratio of 1:6 or better, including small-group and individualized instruction (and plenty of practice debates!)
- Customized skills curriculum to improve speaking style and argument construction and refutation
- Focused discussion of essential knowledge, including topics in international relations, moral philosophy, education, and criminal justice
- The opportunity to work on the campus of Yale University in a secure and academically rigorous environment
By the end of the program, students should leave with more confidence in public speaking and better command of the style and strategy of parliamentary debate.
Every experience I have had at debate camp, as a student and as an instructor, has been beyond inspiring. Because of camp, I’ve met incredible mentors, made amazing friends, and learned much more than I thought I would. I’m really hoping we can give you a similarly amazing experience, so I hope we will see you this summer!
Will Taft and Aakshi Agawal, 2018 Camp Directors
To apply for this year’s program, click here!
The residential program fee for out-of-town students is $1700. Please email us if you are interested. The deadline is March 10, 2018. Note: You do not need a PayPal account to pay below; a credit card can be used.
We’re able to offer free instruction for students from New Haven Urban Debate League member schools and a small program fee of $300 for non-UDL students, which we use to cover food, rooms, and all debate resources for the camp.
Checks can be made payable to the New Haven Urban Debate League delivered in person on the first day of the program or mailed to:
New Haven UDL c/o Dwight Hall
143 Elm Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Questions? Please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.